25 May 2004

Here are a few things that I feel like saying.


First, I love the state of Vermont. I've never been there, mind you, but from what I saw of it in the intro to "Newhart" and now that I've learned that Vermont has only FOUR Wal*Mart stores, I want to go (I can think of at least 2 in the Iowa City area and about at least 5 in the greater Orlando area--Disgusting). Wal*Mart is the devil. I have to think that by shopping at the local grocery store, I've spent well over $100 more than I would have spent had I gone to Wal*Mart this past year, but it's worth it. Wal*Mart could not be any more of a filthy company. What started as a triumph of a small businessman has turned into the end of the American dream, especially in rural areas. Wal*Mart comes into town, and, using its amazing buying power, vast variety of products, and shady business practices, it drives small businesses out of town. The family store becomes that one place that we USED to go to. We used to buy our groceries there, but Wal*Mart will sell us a can of green beans for $0.42, and that's about 8 cents cheaper than Mom and Pop. Why go to the hardware store for a lightbulb or a hammer when Wal*Mart will practically give it away AND they have groceries! Wow. Screw you, hardware store owner. Wait, AND Wal*Mart has gasoline $0.02 cheaper than the other gas stations! Let's go there! My god. Now, all of the people who lose their livelihoods to Wal*Mart have to eat still. Oh, and when the light burns out, they need a lightbulb. And where do they have to go to get what they need? Wal*FREAKIN*Mart, that's where.

Congratulations to the communities that have begun to realize that Wal*Mart isn't that friendly cheap place. Congratulations to those communities that will forsake $0.08 for a can a green beans to maintain what truly is America. Wal*Mart has been sucking the life out of communities and countrysides for too long. It's time to stop.


Next. Now that I have less than three week's time left here at Walt Disney World, I've been wanting to visit some of the attractions that I've missed out on over the past few years. Yesterday, prior to watching Paul Revere and the Raiders at the Flower Power concert series of the Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival, I made my way to the World Showcase with a friend. We watched O Canada in Circlevision 360, and, at least 20 times during that 18 minute show, I said "I must go there." Seriously, I don't care how outdated that film is, I want to go to Canada. I want to LIVE in Canada (for many reasons, reasons that should be obvious by my contempt for the state of the United States, the world, and the direction that both seem to be heading). O Canada. Also, I've decided that I want to learn French. Perhaps I can use my free time at camp each day to enhance my Portuguese and then learn French, which could come in handy in Europe and then of course, when I live in Vermont, which is SO close to Quebec.....


Then. Those of you who know me well will find appropriate skepticism in this bit. Sunday, I facilitated an American Story program at the Magic Kingdom, which involved going onstage with the Audio-Animatronic Presidents. We discuss only the first 18, leaving Hayes to the current "president" for the show. After having introduced the first 18, I asked if anyone had any questions, and immediately, one of the chaperone's hands shot up. He asked me why the American flag lapel pin on W.'s suit coat was upside down (I swear I didn't do it). He then started asking me what it meant, to which I replied, "I know what it means quite well, actually. It means 'in distress.'" Then, I turned the pin back rightside up (meaning I had to touch that [expletive deleted]'s effigy). When I did that, I noticed that the pin back was missing, so I assured the chaperone that the upside down flag was purely accidental. Or at least I think it was accidental, but maybe someone in maintenance is fighting the good fight with us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home